Navigation Tips

Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.

Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.

The most comprehensive listing of Patterns, Pseudo-Patterns, and Pattern Outlines can be found on the Pattern Bibliography page.

Please read the Blog Housekeeping section in the sidebar for more info.

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Asymptotic

.
KnittySue is having a contest over here, it's easy peasy to enter. Just become a follower and post about the contest. You have until 1 June 2009.

My knitting feels somewhat unproductive lately... making some progress, yet never quite finishing.

I chipped away at the pink lace scarf, no real visible progress made; last seen on 01Dec08, better photo in 02Nov08 post. I've already finished one half. I'm working on the second half and hoping to finish soon, then I'll graft the two pieces together so that the motif looks right-side-up when the ends hang in front.

I chipped away at the red cable scarf, also no real visible progress made; last seen on 19Feb2008. Like the lace scarf, the 1st half is completed and I am slowly working through the 2nd half. This one also needs to be grafted at the center. You do realize what this means, right? When both halves of both scarves are completed, it will take even longer for me to work up to grafting them.

I was going to add one more project to the list, however I was pleasantly surprised to manage finishing one little sock! Even better, it's the 2nd sock of a pair! This makes me very happy. :-)


Pair 5 64 sts 2.75mm; S1 left, S2 right
Related posts:
08May2009 post (6 Photos, sock 2, short row heel)
02May2009 post (3 Photos, sock 1 complete, heel flap)
24April2009 post (2 Photos, sock 1)

Sock 1 & Sock 2 were constructed differently. Sock 1 has an underfoot heel flap plus gusset. Sock 2 has SRH. There's a better photo below. I wanted to try SRH again after my failed attempt on pink Pair 2. My 2nd attempt wasn't exactly smooth, you recall the booboo I made and had to tink back to fix it? I thought it would fit OK, but after trying on the sock after completion, I've decided that I could have tinked back to 20 or 22 center sts for a better snugger fit.


Sock 2 w/SRH


Sock 2, SRH closeup

The heel doesn't look too bad when the sock is lying flat. It actually looks quite neat. I still haven't decided whether the 12 st incr before starting the SRH contributed to my "problem" with SRH fit. Perhaps it would have worked out better if I just left the sts alone and worked on 32 sts instead of 44 sts.


Sock 2 leg, 2.75 mm -> 3.0 mm

I worked 4 pattern repeats (after SRH) before switching to 3.0 mm needles for the remainder of the leg. Then I switched back to 2.75 mm for the cuff, because it seemed loose on Sock 1 using 3.0 mm needles ... although it's not a fair comparison when I have 64 sts on Sock 2 and 96 sts on Sock 1. Anyhow, I am pleased with how it turned out on Sock 2 with 2.75 mm.


Sock 2 worn, Sock 1 on floor


Pair 5, Sock 1 left, Sock 2 right

You can really see how strange Sock 1 looks next to Sock 2 ! Sock 1 is a mutant. There's a better pic of Sock 1 here. I like how Sock 2 fits. :-)


Pair 5, Sock 1 left, Sock 2 right

Here you can see how the heels are different on each sock.

Personal project notes for Sock 2:
-- CO 12/24, inc 3x, 64 sts, 2.75mm
-- 12 sts in 12 rnds -> 1.25"; incr 2 sts ev other rnd at 5.75" foot
-- Start SRH @ 7" foot; 44 sts
-- 2nd try SRH, worked until ~18/19 sts in center; could prolly do 20 or 22 for better fit
-- After SRH, begin patt on backside
-- 4 rpts, chg to 3.0mm
-- 14 total rpts b4 ribbing; oopsie, 13 on sock1
-- 12 rnds rib on 2.75 mm

Personal project notes for Sock 2:
-- CO 12/24 -> 64, 2.75mm
-- 4 rpt + 7 rnds foot
-- 2.5"=24rds; 3.25"=32rnds
-- After heel flap/gus, incr to 96 sts (inelegant)
-- End rnd 7 ?
-- K1P1 12 rnds 1.5"
-- 13 total rpts
-- next time try smaller ndl for rib


Well, now that I have finished Pair 5, I suppose I should get back to red Pair 4. I finished Pair 4 Sock 1, and need to figure out where I left off on Sock 2 ... I think I was about to pick up heel gusset stitches.

I am tempted to begin another pair of "mindless" socks, but I have told myself that I must not CO for Pair 6 until I finish one of the 2 scarves or the red socks. I know what would happen if I did CO for Pair 6 ... the other 3 would continue to languish in UFO limbo. I've already decided that Pair 6 would be variagated. Since I have already made a pair of K2P2 rib, I was thinking of trying either K1P1 or K3P1.



Yay, I have finally finished reading this historical fiction. I muddled through the end. This means I can finally begin this popular young adult novel which I keep hearing about. I haven't made too much of a dent in it, E has already saved Bella's life (from an auto accident) and I've just gotten to the beach party. This book is moving along much faster than the previous book.



I saw this SciFi movie earlier in the week and loved it! I was not sure what to expect, not having overly high expectations due to it being an "odd" numbered film. I was pleasantly surprised, it was very good. The movie was lots of fun and I wouldn't mind seeing it again. I also thought the movie was well cast.




FFI#124

1. If we had no winter __California would prolly be in a worse drought___.

2. __Life is___ a perpetual astonishment.

3. If I had my life to live over _I like to think I'd do it better____.

4. _I never get enough knitting done____ inside of four and twenty hours.

5. If you've never been thrilled _go ride a rollercoaster____.

6. To be interested in the changing seasons _you must notice and appreciate the differences____.

7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to _planning my next mini vacation, possibly here____, tomorrow my plans include _watching Dark Knight and/or Torchwood 2nd season, doing a little knitting, and making more progress in Twilight____ and Sunday, I want to _stay cool (we have a heat wave, forecast high of 99!)____!

Copyright © Smariek Knits 2005-2009. All full copyright rights are reserved by Smariek Knits.

.

8 stitch(es):

Unknown said...

I really like to see your progress on socks. I like how you do different heels, patterns, etc. For a pair!! I, on the other hand, always follow the pattern (with very few mods, unless I want to add a srh) and finish the pair that way. Unless I hate it. Then I rip it out. It's nice to see someone so....adventurous.

The books look interesting. I really like historical fiction so always on the lookout for a good book to read.

junior_goddess said...

Blech-time to break out of the cocoon of stale projects, yes?

SusanB-knits said...

I like how brave you are to try different things on the same pair of socks. I must be too rigid, mine 'must' match! haha, but I am trying to loosen up some.

I love the Star Trek movie! Even though I am a Star Trek fan and did not have high expectations for this movie, I was pleasantly surprised! The actor who played Bones was great!! He had all the mannerisms of Dr. McCoy down pat. It is a great movie and I highly recommend it.

Twilight is ok and the movie pretty good. Both my girls love the books and the movie.

Claudia said...

I'm glad you mentioned the book. It really is an easy read. I'll be interested to know what you think of it. Even more, I'll be interested to hear what you think of the second book, since that one seems to have had a lot of buzz.

I LOVE those socks!!!!! I think they look great on! :)

Jean said...

Thank goodness for knitting socks, my Osiris scarf is slowly coming along, every once in awhile I will pick it up and knit a little, but realize it can't be worn til winter - so no hurry. I also loved the Star Trek movie, to me this was the best one - so far.

Darcys Knotty Knitter said...

I would love to see the new star trek and I love the socks great color:)Hugs Darcy

Anonymous said...

I absolutely love those socks! You did a great job on them!

Cindy G said...

With the honeycomb cables, those socks look sooooo cozy!