Navigation Tips

Free Patterns can be seen along the sidebar (on right side),
or you can use the Free Patterns label to view all posts.

Free Pseudo-Patterns or Pattern Outlines can be found using the Free Pseudo-Patterns label.

The most comprehensive listing of Patterns, Pseudo-Patterns, and Pattern Outlines can be found on the Pattern Bibliography page.

Please read the Blog Housekeeping section in the sidebar for more info.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Black Cable Mitt #1 (sans thumb)




Ok it's been a while and the Blogger interface looks different ... let's see if I can figure out how to create a new blog post.  :)
 

Vicki gave me some Cascade 128 bulky(?) black yarn a couple years ago to make her some fingerless mitts. I haven't knit in a while and was a little rusty. It took me a while to figure out how to join a round. Eventually joined it and started knitting in a round. It wasn't too bad, knitting is a bit like riding a bike. It all came back to me. I even did the cables without a cable needle with no problems at all. 

This is the first time I've ever worked with this yarn and I wasn't sure how much yardage I would need for a pair of fingerless mitts. I only have this one ball and hope it is enough. I've completed the main part of the first mitt and will hold off on doing the thumb until I have completed the second mitt. I figure I can knit the two thumbs in a different contrasting color yarn if I run out of the black yarn.

The yarn label suggests a needle size of US10 or US10.5. I'm using US8 circular needles because I couldn't find 2 US9 or 2 US10 needles (a side effect of having too many WIPs hiding in obscure corners of the house). I am glad I'm using US8 because the mitt seems to fit just right and would have been too large if I had used a larger size.

The photo above doesn't show the actual yarn color, it is a dark black color. I find it more difficult to see the stitches. It doesn't help that I do most of my knitting at night when the lighting is not very good.

... now I need to start the second mitt. :)

.

5 stitch(es):

Jean said...

Thank you for your kind and generous nature. I'm treating myself this morning with time to peruse your wonderful patterns. My best friend's brother is getting married next month. She will be moving from Mexico to Canada and doesn't even own a scarf! I can't imagine a more beautiful gift than to knit one of your scarfs for her.

hakucho said...

Welcome back :)

pdxknitterati/MicheleLB said...

So nice to see you!

Do you have a kitchen scale? I really love mine for weighing yarn and WIPs to figure out how much yarn I'm using.

Pearl* said...

I love your blog, (especially your seeded rib pattern) and hope to see more of you in the new year!

purrlgurrl said...

I've made several of your patterns from back in the old days. I've always been meaning to thank you for posting them. The scarves and hats turned out beautifully. So, better late than never, thanks for posting all those wonderful patterns.

I did wonder back when you seemed to be consumed so passionately by knitting if you might burn out some day. Based on how infrequently you post nowadays, I'm hoping that's the case and no terrible misfortune has kept the needles from your hands for all this time.